Friday, October 3, 2008

Going back some . . .


It's the sparrows, really, that made me realise I should feed the birds in winter. There's a large old laurel shrub at the front of the house, in our small front forecourt, and I remember the first winter after we moved in seeing a dead sparrow on the front wall, just below the laurel. At the time, I remember thinking it was sad, and remembering a very maudlin song by Simon and Garfunkel, about no one loving a little sparrow (not one of their best, I have to say). It was only later that I realised that I could maybe help the little sparrows by putting food out for them.

The bird feeding started with a couple of those red plastic nets full of nuts - a rather half-hearted attempt, but I didn't know any better. Later I realised that sunflower seed was preferred, and that sunflower seed hearts were even better. But sparrows will of course eat breadcrumbs too, and are generally grateful for anything - humble and undervalued birds that they are.

Since I've heard that numbers are declining, and that some gardens have no sparrows, I no longer take them for granted. Over the years, in this garden, I've developed an appreciation of the humble sparrow.

Group of sparrows, adults and young, feeding in the garden, June 2004

No comments: