Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Damn the Birds!


birds squarking.jpg

I'm generally a light sleeper and during the summer months at the beach, I'm up at the crack of dawn. There are a number of factors to my early rising, but the main culprit is not my obsessive compulsiveness to get in the yard and start working, but rather it's the damn birds. The birds start chirping and singing (screaming) right before sunrise. This weekend they awoke me at 4:15 A.M Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I did some research and It seems to be that the birds are most active during the pre-dawn hours when the air is still and the wind is light so they can be heard. They are letting their potential mates know that "they are here and ready". Their voices carry better during these hours. What is really annoying is that I can hear hundreds of them to a different tune all battling for that special someone. There’s one particularly demonic bird that’s taken up residence right outside my bedroom window. It's usually the first bird I hear. Somewhere between 4:15–4.30 am, this bird starts squawking and then all of his buddies start up. The next thing you know, its a non-musical ‘round’ song going. And that’s the end of sleep for me. Photo credit: Paul Mutton

No comments: