Thursday, September 4, 2008

Fern symbology


Fern spore

I love new growth and buds on plants. This fern lives on Sarah Island in Tasmania - an old convict settlement. Set in a very beautiful but inhospitable area near Strahan on the West Coast; I marvelled at how people survived there hundreds of years ago. The island itself was extended by hand to increase its size. It really was incredibly beautiful if you stopped by as a visitor on a day trip. To live there with no hope of leaving? I don’t think I’d have liked that. Nobody likes to be imprisoned and many of the convicts to Australia were sent so far from home for minor or imaginary crimes.

I wonder if they took any joy and pleasure in the nature all around them or if they longed for home and family? It makes me appreciate so much the liberty I have and the people in my life. Looking at plants like this gives new hope for fresh starts and new growth. We are all a work in progress, just like this fern. As long as we too, keep on growing, we will survive.

No comments: